In case you’re not familiar, the urban dictionary describes La La Land this way:
You know when you see someone and think, “wow, they’re in their own world.” Well that world is la la land.
Well, I’ve seen first-hand that La La Land does exist. Here are a few signs that confirmed my 13-year-old beast is currently living there:
- Finding dairy products in the pantry.
- Finding used hair product in the pantry.
- Finding empty used sports bottle in fridge after asking him to put it in dishwasher.
- After informing him it was in fridge, watching him put said sports bottle in cabinet and then realize it’s not the dishwasher after I inform him it’s not the dishwasher.
- Instead of taking kitchen trash to outdoor trashcan, he carries it to mailbox then realizes where he is and turns around to take it to backyard where we store the trashcans.
- Watching him bring the vacuum out the front door and up the driveway before realizing it’s not the closet.
These are just a few, very recent examples. As hormone levels and surges begin to elevate, I think La La Land will continue to have one very loyal resident.
Parenting Tip: Use that old chalk board or white board to write out a to-do list instead of ‘nagging’ them verbally. They get a sense of control by picking which things they do first and marking them off as they do them, and parents can see what’s been done without having to ask.
[Proverbs 17:24 A discerning person keeps wisdom in view, but a fool’s eyes wander to the ends of the earth.]